I am a glass artist with a studio based at The Old Bath House in the Northumbrian village of North Broomhill. Running a variety of workshops for adults and children of all abilities, I welcome commissions and also sell my own work from my studio. I have been a full-time artist since 2005 but started my career as a teacher in London. I fell in love with glass after attending an evening course and have since taken workshops with wonderful artists and teachers like Maralyn O’Keefe and Sylvia Bearpark. Most of what I have learned, however, has come through years of experimenting in my studio.
Working with fused glass is like alchemy - you never quite know what will happen in the kiln and the effect leaded glass can have on a room is just magical, almost spiritual. My journey as an artist is about nurturing my creativity and having the courage to let that spirit take me wherever it may lead, yet never losing the ability to play. Never happier than when talking and collaborating with other creatives, being part of the group of artists here at Studios 45 is stimulating and inspiring and you are more than welcome to come and visit and watch me at work.
I live with my man Joe, am mum to two grown-up gorgeous, talented daughters but spend half my time being bossed around by Dobby and Sparky (the dogs).
Some others things to know about me......
- I'll do pretty much anything for a Cadbury's Creme Egg.
- My biggest hope for my children is that they don't spend too much time watching Jeremy Kyle.
- I relax by going on long walks on the beach with the dogs....
- And yet there is nothing like that first sip of a gin and tonic on a Friday night!
- As a child watching my father paint in the kitchen is burned into my memory and has encouraged me to follow my own creative path.
- Random acts of kindness will often reduce me to tears (....did I mention creme eggs?).
- My favourite films include Cinema Paradiso and Dirty Dancing.
- Some people I admire are Annie Lennox, Frida Kahlo and Tony Benn - people not afraid to speak their mind (it has been suggested I have a smidgen of this).
- I have a mild obsession with Swedish crime dramas.
Signup for my newsletter and I will let you know of events, workshops and special offers. You can unsubscribe at any time. I have recently started a blog and you can also find me on facebook, twitter and pinterest. Anyways, I'd love to meet you if you are ever passing the studio or feel free to drop me a line at firstname.lastname@example.org or ring me on 07905 478767.